Monday, June 13, 2011

Some things getting used to...

I've been in Fiji now for 4 days now and as I was riding the bus into Lautoka today, I thought about some things that I definitely have to get used to now that I'm not in America....

A car. The transportation system here is CRAZY. There are buses, carriers, taxis and express buses. Trying to figure out which one goes where, how much each cost to ride and when they run is a pain but I'm trying my best to figure it out.

Protein. The Fijian diet is very starchy and consists of a lot of white breads, rice and potatoes. If any of you know me, you'll know how much I hate eating that stuff. So as much as I resent it, I've bought a white loaf of bread and white crackers for breakfast. Its times like this where I just want a protein shake.... I can push through though!

Personal Space. Right now, the HELP house has 26 volunteers living under one roof. 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. Mind you, these aren't big rooms, and their not the most comfortable bathrooms so its a challenge when you come home and the only place to sit in the family room is the filthy floor. :) We have lots of fans in the house and card games and movies to keep us entertained every night so I can't complain - its all worth the experience and I'm loving it.

Hot showers, cold drinks. The showers are always ice cold - but after non-stop sweating all day, a cold shower is all you want. The water here is always cold - they don't have ice cubes so drinking warm water is becoming I'm getting used to. But I was introduced to "Sugar and Ice" - a smoothie shop here in Lautoka today. First cold thing I've had since I've gotten into Fiji - I downed it. :)

So the next time you think, 'life is hard' out there in the great US of A, just remember this list and realize how great you have it and how fortunate you are to live there!

I love America!

p.s. I'll try and post some pictures when I'm able to get internet on my own computer - right now I'm in a hot internet cafe sweating my brains out. Fun image, right?! Stay tuned for pictures!

1 comment: