Saturday, June 25, 2011

Suva !


So I'm writing this post from the Temple housing in Suva, Fiji. Last night I made the sudden decision to come with our country directors and 5 other Volunteers to Suva for the weekend. We rented a car and our Director Chuck drove us all the way there. I was at first excited that we were driving our own van and we didn't have to use the slow, uncomfortable buses. Little did I know this ride would be "hell on earth"...

Just picture an 8 passenger van with really high seats so you can't see out the low windows, pot-holed roads the entire way, speed bumps the size of large rocks every couple miles, and a jerky stick shift car. I was sitting in the back of the van and it was a horrible decision. As we were driving and I was trying to get my mind off the fact that I had 3 hours of this ahead of me, I related the drive to some Disneyland rides that you all could relate to.

Imagine this....

Mr. Toads Wild Ride for the windy roads and sharp turns.
Indiana Jones for the bumpy, jerky ride.
Disney Jungle Cruise for the "island" look of the environment.
Star Tours for the car sickness.

aka. worst. ride. ever.

I'm dreading the drive home tomorrow - this trip wasn't long enough...seriously.

Today we went to the Suva Temple and it was such a neat experience to be surrounded by Fijians and Hindu members. The temple is so small but so gorgeous! I love the way the church is the same no matter where you go - especially in buildings!

We went into town and hit up the Flea Markets, ate at a delicious hole in the wall Chinese Restaurant which we sat and ate on the water front, walked around town, went to more Flea Markets, ate at more restaurants and then came back to the Temple Housing and had real chocolate cake for a girl's birthday tomorrow! I love Suva. Especially because this Temple housing has hot water. :) It wasn't the most exciting trip, but I know I'll be coming back here again before I leave. Its been so nice though to just get out of the house and to get out of Ba. When people have asked us where we are "from" in Fiji and we tell them Ba, they respond by saying "Boring Ba", or "Suva's backyard". Its so true. Ba is so sleepy, boring and HOT. It downpoured tonight in Suva and I was loving the rain - Suva's on the "wet" side of the island and Ba is on the "dry" side. Of course. Haha.

Well, that's enough rambling for one post - Thanks for following my blog - I love hearing from those of you who care to read this!
Moce!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like the funnest day ever. Except for the ride of course...

    ReplyDelete