Monday, July 11, 2011

It's Not Polite to Stare

That phrase has a whole new meaning - especially when you're the fish in the fishbowl.

I wish our eyes could take snapshots of events. Pulling out a camera is sometimes too obvious and the moment is passed by the time you pull it out.

Today was one of those moments I wish I could have captured.

Four of us girls were coming home from Lautoka on a stopping bus and what started off as a boring ride, cramped with people, turned into a hilarious ride.
The bus slowly emptied out people on its way to Ba and then the bus started picking up primary school kids.

Kids in Fiji make you feel like a celebrity.

The kids got on the bus, saw us "pelanqes" (White people) and just stared us down on their way to their seats. They continued to stare at us until they hit their stop. I'm not exaggerating when I say, everyone was staring at us. Some girls in front of us, turned in their seats and just looked at us straight faced. It got kind of uncomfortable not doing anything so we smiled at them, waved and laughed to ourselves.

Then we saw a totally dead, bloated, rigamortus dog on the side of the road which kinda killed the moment.. but we still laughed at the sight and wondered why we don't see that more considering the amount of wild dogs here...

Then we got another bus full of kids. Same thing happened. This one boy got on and when he saw us, he physically rose up on his toes and his eyes widened. It was hilarious.
We passed other school kids on the side of the road and they all waved at us, then got shy and laughed when we waved back. There is a scene in the movie "Evita" where she is arriving in Argentina on a train and she stretches both arms out of the window overcome by excitement waving at people she passes. So many times i've wanted to do that here in Fiji. Just hang out the side of the bus and wave with both hands to those we pass on the road. I'd look like the biggest idiot tourist but thats how much I love this country and its people.

I've accepted the fact that when I return to the U.S. I wont get this much attention from people I pass by simply from the color of my skin. Be grateful you're American, cause I sure am!

No comments:

Post a Comment