Saturday, July 2, 2011

Weekends keep me sane...

Weekends here in Fiji are THE BEST. Its like a mini vacation every week and it helps us all with our sanity knowing were getting out of sleepy little Ba Town. J

This week we went to Sigatoka (Pronounced Sing-a-toka) Sand Dunes National Park. We went on this stunning 30 min hike up hill to this outlook on top of the hill that looked out over the Pacific Ocean – it was breathtaking. Then we made our descent down to the dunes and the ocean. We were blown away by the coast and the huge waves breaking onto the shore. We stood on the shoreline taking pictures, laughing and screaming when the waves crashed into us and just took in the beauty that was there. Of course this was a “no swim zone” which was understandable considering the size of the waves were like 6-9 ft tall…so, we walked along the coastline to the “swim zone” further down the coast. We set up camp and jumped in the water as fast as we could – we were all so hot and anxious to get into the water!

We built a sand castle “city” with a capitol, hospital, squatters land, and 2 major rivers. Hahaha. We got a little carried away. We also laid on the beach and took naps, read books and just enjoyed the distant sound of the waves crashing onto the beach. I dozed off and when I woke up, I forgot that I was in Fiji until I heard the sound of galloping horse hooves on sand. I looked up and saw some little Fijian boys riding their horses along the beach. It was so picturesque and I wanted to join them SO badly!

It was a fabulous “vacation” day even if most of the day was overcast! I hope you enjoy the pictures (that I'll eventually put up when the internet is strong) – they don’t do it justice though! Guess you’ll all have to make a trip out to the Sigatoka Sand Dunes to know what I’m talking about!

1 comment:

  1. I just updated myself on your blog and read all the posts I missed. I'm so glad you have those weekends to take a break and make some awesome travel memories. I can just hear you saying the things you write. I can't wait till you get back and we can have a dinner group and share all our pictures from our trips and adventures of the summer! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete